HAIR HEALTH: DO THE STRETCH TEST
Improving hair elasticity might be a term you’ve come across when scanning a bottle of shampoo or conditioner. It might even be something you’ve heard your hairdresser talk about. But for most of us its not a focus until the hair becomes difficult to style or worse, it starts to break.
WHO SHOULD CARE ABOUT HAIR ELASTICITY?
The answer to that question is that we all should care about improving hair elasticity. How much stretch your hair has is an indicator of how healthy it is. If you want great looking hair then it starts with getting it in good condition. Hair that doesn’t have sufficient elasticity can be prone to breakage and can also be frustratingly difficult to style. Often hair with low elasticity will not hold the shape after styling. If this sounds familiar then read on. We tell you how you can establish the elasticity of your hair by taking the stretch test. You can do this at home and it will be a good indicator of what kind of shape your hair is in.
THE STRETCH TEST
The stretch test is simple to do and knowing the condition of your hair will help in understanding how to style and care for your hair. When hair is wet, select strands of hair, hold securely and stretch the hair gently, without pulling on the root. If the hair stretches and returns to its original length when released, then elasticity is good. If there is any breakage or the hair doesn’t fall back into shape then its time to think seriously about improving the condition.
SO WHAT’S NEXT?
Once you’ve established the elasticity of your hair, there are two possible options. If you hair has good elasticity then think about maintenance. Regular conditioning and a weekly hair masque should be sufficient. Try to avoid styling products with alcohol-denat as they can be over-drying and keep up the good work!
If you find your hair has poor elasticity then don’t despair. With a good routine and some TLC you can improve the condition of your hair. We share our top tips for improving the elasticity of the hair.
- Regular conditioning. Always condition your hair after you shampoo. Think of it in the same way that you look after your face. After cleansing, moisturise.
- If the condition is very poor use an intensive mask treatment twice a week for at least 2 weeks. This will help to rehydrate your hair and give it a much needed boost.
- After 2 weeks of intensive treatment the hair should be starting to improve. You can now kick off a regular routine of giving your hair a mask treatment once a week. Take some time out from heated styling tools to give your hair a chance to recover. If you can’t bear to be without your hairdryer then choose a cooler heat setting and try not to over-dry your hair. Less is more!
- If you are using the Ogario London Restore and Shine Hair Masque, we recommend leaving on the hair for as long as possible. For example, you can leave it on for a couple of hours or even overnight. For more tips on using our mask check out our blog POST-HOLIDAY HAIR: BANISH THE BURN-OUT.
- Look out for shampoos, conditioners and styling products with ingredients that will improve hair elasticity. Honey is a favourite ingredient of ours as it improves elasticity, leaving hair supple. We love it so much its an active ingredient in our Styling Products and in our Hydrate and Shine Shampoo.
FIND OUT MORE
For advice on Ogario London hair products take a look at out our recommendations by HAIR TYPE, leave a question below or email us at email@example.com.
For hair care tips go to our HAIR HACKS blogs.
Want to know more? Check out the award-winning Ogario London haircare range at our shop. Ogario London products are packed with plant extracts and essential oils to leave hair shiny, healthy and naturally beautiful.