KNOW YOUR TYPE: HAIR HYDRATION
Knowing your hair type is essential when selecting the right products or choosing the best style for your hair. We think about hair type in terms of whether its fine, dry, coarse thick etc. and your hairdresser will take all of these things into consideration when creating a new style.
BEYOND THE SALON
Once you’ve left the salon its important to be able to style hair easily and with as little maintenance as possible. To help you in this quest, let us introduce you to porosity. If you’ve ever had your hair coloured in the salon, you may well have heard this term. But have you ever really thought about what porosity means for your own hair care routine once you’ve left the salon?
THE HAIR HYDRATION TEST
In simple terms porosity refers to your hair ability to absorb and retain moisture so its really about hair hydration. You can categorise hair into 3 types of porosity.
- Low porosity – hair doesn’t absorb moisture well and you may find that product easily builds up on your hair.
- Normal porosity – easily absorbs and retains moisture. It requires little maintenance.
- High porosity – this hair is thirsty! It easily absorbs moisture but it always wants more and can become frizzy.
If you are not sure which category your hair falls into, there’s a nifty little test you can do at home. We call it the Hair Hydration Test. Simply take a strand of hair, from your comb or hairbrush and pop it into a glass of water. If the hair floats then it has low porosity. If it sinks slowly then it has normal porosity and if it sinks quickly then it has high porosity.
Now you’ve established your hair hydration type, you can start to think about your own routine to improve condition and manageability.
- Avoid heavy oils and for this hair type less is definitely more.
- Little and often works for this hair type. Don’t overload your hair with a lot of product at once. Give it time to absorb products. Its also important to make sure that hair is damp, not dripping wet when you apply conditioner.
- Because it doesn’t absorb moisture easily it may look and feel dry so it’s essential to build a weekly mask treatment into your hair care routine. Try Restore and Shine Hair Masque and make sure you warm the product up in your hands before application. This will help you get an even spread on the hair. Heat helps hair absorb moisture so once your mask is on, put on a plastic shower cap, leave for a couple of hours and rinse.
- Stay clear of heavy styling products. Our styling range contains pro-vitamin b5 so its perfect for helping the hair to absorb moisture. It also has a pump that creates a super-fine mist. Perfect for ensuring an even spread on the hair.
Its all about maintenance. Regular shampooing and conditioning. We recommend 2 to 3 times a week but just go with what works for your hair, maintain the routine and don’t forget a weekly mask to keep your hair in tip-top condition!
It can feel like a full time job to keep these thirsty locks hydrated and sometimes you might feel like giving up. But if you persist and establish a good routine it will be worth it.
- Keep heat to a minimum. Air dry where you can and when you are using the hair dryer keep it on a low heat.
- A weekly mask treatment is essential and perhaps even twice a week. Try leaving the Ogario London Restore and Shine Masque on for a few hours or even overnight.
- Avoid styling products with alcohol denat and silicone as they can make the hair dry. Try our Styling Mist for Natural Hold and a Glossy finish. It contains Sugar Beet which helps the hair absorb and retain moisture.
- Keep products in your handbag. If your hair needs a boost during the day spritz it with the styling mist for a refresh. Or you can even use a little conditioner. Put a small amount in the palm of your hands, mix with a little water and apply to the hair. Our travel size Hydrate and Shine Conditioner is perfect for this!
FIND OUT MORE
For advice on Ogario London hair products take a look at out our recommendations by HAIR TYPE, leave a question below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For hair care tips go to our HAIR HACKS blogs.
Want to know more? Check out the award-winning Ogario London haircare range at our shop. Ogario London products are packed with plant extracts and essential oils to leave hair shiny, healthy and naturally beautiful.